Monday, February 22, 2016

Doctrine and Covenants 129:8 and the Reality of Satan’s Physicality ~ Wilford Woodruff (Part 3)

In section 129 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord provides “three grand keys” by which the Saints may know whether any angelic ministration is from God or from the devil. Verse 8 informs us that should the devil (or one of his hosts) appear attempting to deceive you into thinking he is a divine messenger sent from God, “when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not feel anything; you may therefore detect him.” For many this verse gives the impression that because Satan and his hosts lack mortal bodies, they are incapable of having physical contact with humans. In other words, the passage appears to focus on the nature of the bodies of Lucifer and his spirit followers, suggesting that their physical makeup is the reason their hands cannot be felt. However, a series of events that took place early in the Restoration suggest that this interpretation may not be accurate. In an effort to test the common exegesis of D&C 129:8, this paper will recount a handful of early Luciferian encounters, applying the implications of such to our understanding of the nature of Lucifer’s person.

Wilford Woodruff


Not unlike the experiences of Joseph, Heber, Orson, Willard, and Isaac, Elders Wilford Woodruff and George A. Smith were physically attacked by the devil during the winter of 1840 as they labored in London. Elder Woodruff spoke of this assault on numerous occasions. On October 18, 1840, he wrote the following in his journal:

We [Wilford Woodruff and George A. Smith] retired to rest in good season and I felt well in my mind and slept until 12 at night. I awoke and meditated upon the things of God until near 3 o’clock and while forming a determination to warn the people in London and overcome the powers of Darkness by the assistance of God; A person appeared unto me which I considered was the Prince of Darkness or the Devil. He made war with me and attempted to take my life. He caught me by the throat and choked me nearly to death. He wounded me in my forehead. I also wounded him in a number of places in the head. As he was about to overcome me I prayed to the father in the name of Jesus for help. I then had power over him and he left me though much wounded.

Three personage dressed in white came to me and prayed with me and I was immediately healed and [they] delivered me from all my troubles.
(Journal of Wilford Woodruff, October 18, 1840, 1:532)

Although he doesn’t mention it in the foregoing account, on later occasions, Wilford indicated that Satan did physical harm to both him and George A. Smith—and had it not been for “three holy messengers . . . dressed in temple clothing” who gave them each a priesthood blessing, both of them would have been killed by Satan on that occasion. (Wilford Woodruff, March 3, 1889, discourse, in Stuy, Collected Discourses, 1:218; Wilford Woodruff, Leaves from My Journal (Salt Lake City: Juvenile Instructor Office, 1881), 109–10; Wilford Woodruff, October 19, 1896, discourse, in Study, Collected Discourses, 5:236–37.)
 
For some reason, no reference to this event by George A. Smith has survived. However, Elder Woodruff states that he and Elder Smith were sleeping on cots some three feet apart when Satan appeared to them that night. Thus, George was probably aware of what happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment